Syncrude Heavy Equipment Operator
Program Length: 2 weeks classroom training followed by 364 day paid co-op
Description: This program is designed to prepare students with the essential entry hands-on skills to begin a career as a heavy equipment operator. Heavy equipment operators drive and operate many different types of equipment including: heavy hauler trucks, crawler dozers, graders, hydraulic and electric shovels, as well as other heavy equipment up to 400 tons.
Location: Fort McMurray
What you need to apply:
- Proof of residence in Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (3 month minimum)
Here's an overview of the documents and steps required for your application:
- Class 5 Drivers License (non-graduated)
- High School Diploma/GED or transcripts
- Pre-screen interview
- Career research
- Formal interview (with Employer Sponsor)
- Proof of residency
- Syncrude mandated essential skills testing
- WBF essential skills score (within level 2 range)
- Successful pass of drug & alcohol test
- Successful pass of fitness test (50lb lift/carry)
Program Costs: Tuition for this program is funded by Syncrude.
Class Capacity: 16
Courses and skills learned:
- Standard First Aid - CPR A & AED
- CSTS &WHMIS
- Fire Extinguisher Training
-Common Safety Orientation (CSO)
Employment: Upon completion of this program, students will be prepared to begin an entry level role as a heavy equipment operator with Syncrude in Fort McMurray. Students will receive ongoing support from a WBF Alumni Advisor during training and the paid co-op terms to ensure career success.
How to Apply: We recommend attending an information session before beginning your application. You can register for an upcoming information session here.