Program Length: 12-17 weeks
Location: Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Lethbridge
Journeywoman Start (JWS) is a hands-on training program that introduces students to a variety of different trades and provides introductory skills training for:
The program is designed to help students prepare for and succeed as an entry level construction trades apprentice worker.
What you need to apply:
Here’s an overview of the documents and steps required for your application:
- Class 5 Driver's License (recommended)
- We do not require a high school diploma for this program; however, applicants will take an assessment for basic math, science, and reading skills and will need to meet a minimum score.
- Must be an Alberta resident
- Successful pass of drug/alcohol & fitness test (35lbs lift/carry)
- Career research
- Completion of math, science & reading assessment (a minimum score within level 2)
- Upon acceptance, students will need to provide a copy of their high school transcripts
What you'll learn:
- Tuition for this program is sponsored by the Government of Canada
- Additional funding and awards may be available to support living expenses while in the program.
- Basic safety certifications
- Hands-on skills training in workshops for various trades
- Workplace culture and financial literacy
- Interview & resume workshops to support employment
- Academics (math & science) to prepare for Apprenticeship Industry Training entrance exam
- Ongoing mentorship and support through alumni advisors
How to Apply: We recommend attending an information session before beginning your application. You can register for an upcoming information session here.
To support employment opportunities upon completion of this program, students will also have support from our Alumni Advisor team in job search and navigating the apprenticeship journey.